[Unveiled 1977] Sculpted: 1977 Sculptor: Milton Hebald 1917- • USA
Gift of publisher and philanthropist
George Delacorte (1893-1991)
Located outside of the Delacorte Theater at the edge of the Great Lawn in Central Park
is a bronze statue depicting the two
lovers from Shakespeare’s play“Romeo & Juliet” published in 1597.
Entwined in an embrace, Romeo caresses
Juliet as they profess their love for each
other. Since most of the plays performed
at the Delacorte Theater are Shakespeare’s
plays, it is suiting for this statue to find
its home here.