Dr. James Marion Sims
[Unveiled 1892 Removed 2018]
1813-1883 b. Lancaster Co., South Carolina d. New York, N.Y.
Erected on the perimeter of Central Park is a statue dedicated to life of the internationally renowned surgeon, Dr. James Marion Sims, who was regarded in the world of medicine as a pioneer and founder of gynecology.
His introduction of new operations and the invention of 71 surgical instruments, helped to save the lives of all women including slaves with childbirth problems.
As a result of these successful operations, in 1853, he moved to New York and established the Woman's Hospital of the State of New York, and later established the Cancer Hospital, now known as Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.