Fort Fish Site: E106
Formerly the site of a fort built by volunteers that was in use during the War of 1812,
Fort Fish was named after the chairman of the city’s Committee of Defense and is now a site of interest in Central Park.
This mound, which is the highest point of all the bluffs that once held forts, originally served as a key spot for military defense.
Fort Fish was the largest and most heavily armed fort located in the vicinity above the Harlem Meer
. By the time the war ended on December 24, 1814, when the Treaty of Ghent was signed, like Fort Clinton
it had never fired a shot in its own defense.
Today all that remains is an isolated green field with tall trees divided by a single narrow broken path and highlighted by the Andrew Haswell Green bench